Re: Release schedule

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:28:46 -0700

On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 07:15 PM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Adam Fedor wrote:
On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 07:26 PM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Not currently, but this doesn't say anything about GNUstep's long term goals. Having a clear position on this would be a very good thing, and will be necessary eventually. I think that stability, both in interface
(most easily, and possibly best, achieved by sticking to OpenStep and
OPENSTEP) and implementation, is much more important than adding new
cocoa stuff. (This actually applies to more than just -gui.)

Well we do have a clearly stated position:

http://www.gnustep.org/information/mission.html

Well, there are a bit too many probably:s and generally:s in that for me to call it clear; I find the whole thing rather vague. Eg. when is there a real problem, and when does something count as documented so we should
implement it?

True, it is wishy-washy. What I hope to convey is that we want OpenStep/OPENSTEP compatibility, but we also want the flexibility, if something in Cocoa is truely a better API, to implement that in preference to the OpenStep API.

Perhaps if someone can come up with better wording, then we could agree on a change.

Although, it doesn't appear to be exactly what you would prefer.

Under "API", it is fairly clear that the goal is to follow cocoa, but
under "The Future" it says that the goal is to provide a superior
development environment "regardless of the commercial forces driving any
specific API.". How is this supposed to be read?

I was looking beyond a 1.0 GUI release, where we might want to change the focus to better serve our target audience (whoever that is).