Re: Release schedule

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:24:45 +0100 (BST)

> > One thing I might try next time is to make multiple (perhaps weekly)
> > pre-releases, so that people feel comfortable putting in bug fixes
> > knowing that they will be tested. Let me know if you have other ideas.
>
> My suggestion is to avoid branches for now and simply have a steady
> stream of releases (of HEAD) at semi-stable points, ie. not in the
> middle of large changes, but as soon as possible after them, and often.

I agree with this - I have often argued that branches have never been
particularly useful for GNUstep - they seem to be mostly wasting our time.

I can't comment on -base or -gui (which I couldn't follow in this period),
but I don't think using a branch for gnustep-make had any useful impact -
actually, I myself - being completely distracted by other stuff in this
period - didn't realize the pre-release was on a branch and went on using
HEAD.  As a consequence, my changes to build applications on Apple weren't
included in 1.6.0 because I committed them to HEAD instead of the branch.