Re: Release schedule

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:53:01 -0500

Nicola Pero wrote:

This sentence directly upsets an important part of our user base, who *is* expecting us to track these changes.

Do you seriously believe that you can track the changes to Cocoa, and successfully maintain a functional product? At the moment, from the experiences that I've had, and those of others I've spoken to, the most important thing at this point is having a working environment. This has been relatively elusive.

Do you believe that GNUstep is stable enough for open source developers to attempt to track Cocoa, without GNUstep being crushed under the weight of shifting APIs and the whims of Apple's well paid developers? They're certainly not bound by the need to be compatible with anything but their own implementation.

I'm certainly not interested in GNUstep developers spending their time tracking Cocoa, or trying to create a Cocoa clone. I'd rather have a solid API, that's stable. Chasing Apple around the yard diverts energies from developing a superior product. A house built on sand will fall, no matter how visually impressive the front porch is.

--

Tim Harrison
address@hidden