Re: Release schedule

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 06:28:49 -0500

Markus Hitter wrote:

[snip]

> What makes you expect that an additional e.g. NSToolbar implementation
> whould affect the stability of GNUstep? If it whould show effects other
> than the expected ones, you just bring hidden bugs to the light of the
> day, right?
>
> After all, if you want to stay with OPENSTEP exclusively, GNUstep will
> come to a standstill in a not too far future.

I don't think anyone wants to be hindered by OPENSTEP/OpenStep.

What I would like is to define "OpenStep" as the common ground that both
GNUstep and Cocoa have. If you want your app to be portable without
changes, stick to the common ground. Beyond that, we can extend GNUstep in
ways that may not be consistent with the direction Apple goes.

Develop GNUstep in a way that makes GNUstep itself better and more
attractive, not in a way that makes Cocoa more attractive. Add our own
stuff not based on either OPENSTEP *or* Cocoa. Following Apple's changes
makes Cocoa more attractive at the expense of our own user/developer base.
That's wrong.