Re: Release schedule

From: Tim Harrison
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:16:52 -0500

Nicola Pero wrote:

But realistically, Apple compatibility is a great boost for GNUstep.

Only if the underlying system is stable, though. Compatibility is only good if applications function properly.

Even if we don't invest much effort in tracking the latest Apple changes,
we must recognize that being Apple compatible makes GNUstep a lot more
interesting and attractive.

I think having a stable system, whose API doesn't change between minor releases, in which application developers can be confident, makes GNUstep a lot more interesting and attractive.

So, I'd suggest to keep balanced when writing such statements of general
principle - while developing a superior free product is our main
objective, being compatible with Apple can be a strategical win and help
us to reach our main objective by making our free product look more
attractive in real-world terms, and enlarging our user (and contributor)
base.

Once again, I don't think compatibility with Apple will be/is the attraction for real world application. Not that I claim to know everything about everything, nor have I been developing for 20 years or anything (in fact, I'm a terrible coder :)), but from my experience, if the API is mature, stable, well thought out, and extensible, the moving target nature of newer technologies tends to be its own downfall.

I think the major reason that GNUstep doesn't have the large amount of developers one might hope for is lack of stability. Stability would involve having a clear and attainable goal, in my opinion, and not trying to follow something that we have no control over, or access to, in a meaningful way.

--

Tim Harrison
address@hidden