Re: Release schedule

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:29:08 +0200

Am Dienstag, 01.04.03 um 17:09 Uhr schrieb Tim Harrison:

No one is suggesting that adding NSToolbar, by itself, is going to make GNUstep unstable. The problem is that GNUstep is unstable now, and spending the time to track Cocoa will take time away from fixing that instability.

This implies a person not implementing NSToolbar would track down instabilities instead. I don't think this is the case.

That's how I experience participians in public projects: Those brave guys working enthusiatic on any part of the project, as long as it belongs to the project, are rare. Most of them have some goal in mind and are working towards a solution for it.

One of the things I'm concerned about is the uncertain wording of the goals for GNUstep.

That's because GNUstep users have so different goals? Some love it for the superior API, some for it's superior UI and some see it as a Cocoa clone for non-OS X. Which of them do you want to get rid of? Hopefully none.

However, the general feeling (amongst anti-Cocoa-trackers, at least ;)) is that having a solid, non-changing base as a reference to work from is extremely important.

Sorry, I fail to see how following Cocoa whould conflict with that goal? Cocoa's changes to existing API are minor, already implemented in GNUstep and will be even smaller in the future as Apple always had to provide some sort of backwards compatibility. Additions aren't changes. Am I wrong?

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/