Re: Release schedule

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 10:29:25 -0700

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 03:50 PM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Hmm, how about:
""
The primary goal for core/ is to provide an implementation of the
FoundationKit and ApplicationKit interfaces of OPENSTEP, which was
essentially a superset of the OpenStep specification.

Here's another try after reading more comments:

OpenStep standard developed by NeXT Computer Inc. (now Apple Computer
Inc.) and the OPENSTEP implementation of this standard. Apple has continued to
update this specification in the form
of Cocoa and MacOSX, and there is no hope of GNUstep guaranteeing that we will
maintain compatibility with an Apple API that is constantly
changing. </p>

stagnate. A stable system is achieved by coding to a fixed target. This
fixed target is the OpenStep standard and OPENSTEP implementation. However,
we will consider changes and additions to this API under the following
circumstances.</p>

<ul>
<li>We will add Cocoa methods and classes when they are sound and
appropriate for the scope of GNUstep.</li>
<li>We won't remove things that have been removed by Apple.</li>
<li>Where there is a real problem with a change,
we find a technically superior work-around. In rare cases, this might
involve a change in the original OpenStep API</li>
</ul>

achieve or maintain Cocoa compatibility! We will accept patches and bug
reports that detail Cocoa additions and/or changes and we will do our
best to integrate these changes as long as they do not conflict with the
previously stated rules.</p>