Re: Release schedule

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Release schedule
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 00:56:02 +0100 (BST)

> > Here's another try after reading more comments:

> > on the
> > OpenStep standard developed by NeXT Computer Inc. (now Apple Computer
> > Inc.) and the OPENSTEP implementation of this standard.
>
> As a goal for all of GNUstep, this is good.

Hmmm.  Is it ?

No - frankly, if this is to be the goal for all of GNUstep, the main
GNUstep Mission statement, it isn't very good.

Putting the word "stable" in such a prominent position is hurting my
stomach - it's *obvious* it has to be stable - any good product has to be
stable - putting it there seems to just underline our troubles with
building a stable product.

Not to say that in this Mission statement there is no mention of the fact
we want a "free"  environment.  There is no mention of the fact we want a
"superior"  environment.  But those are the main reasons why GNUstep
exists!

It looks as if the whole mission of the project is creating a "stable
clone" of a past/dead proprietary product.

What's the point of joining GNUstep then ?  Who cares about struggling to
create a "stable clone" of a past/dead proprietary product ?  I don't.  I
wouldn't ... unless we're talking of a *free* improved clone of the *best*
development environment to date. :-)

Something like "GNUstep's goal is to create a free, superior development
environment based and inspired by the OpenStep standard." would be much
better.

Btw, I think we had a pretty well written Mission statement in the past.
Where has that gone ?