Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 21:55:29 +0100

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 09:03  pm, Adam Fedor wrote:

OK, Here, I hope I've made it painfully clear what our goals are (other parts of the mission statement removed for brevity):

standard and its implementation as defined in OPENSTEP 4.2.  Our goal
is to maintain the implied behavior of the OpenStep specification as
much as possible and document any deviations from this behavior, in order
to make it easy to port an Application from OPENSTEP. Our second goal
is to achieve compatibility with a reference Cocoa implementation (currently
MacOSX 10.2) as needed to implement code which can be cross-compiled on
Cocoa, execpt for documented differences which conflict with the overall
goals of GNUstep (detailed below).

What I want to see is a system that behaves (look and feel of apps)
like NeXTstep (that's the real goal!) but is compatible with MacOS-X
(to attract developers).

In that light, I thing the compatibility priorities above are in the wrong
order.

I can't see why we'd want the OPENSTEP 4.2 implementation as a
particular target. In terms of look and feel of the gui and applications
IMO NeXTStep3.2 was better and we should be aiming for that,
while in terms of implementing the OpenStep API OPENSTEP4.2 is
little better than MacOS-X, so where undocumented implementation
details are concerned we should take a live system in preference to
a dead one as our primary standard.

At least I can go out and buy a reference copy of MacOS-X to test
against ... even if I can find someone to sell me a second-hand copy
of OPENSTEP-4.2 the chances are it won't run on my computer
because it won't have drivers for the modern hardware.

I'm very happy to have backward compatibility options for OPENSTEP
users built into the code ... as long as those users help maintain them,
but I don't want to spend my time borrowing time on someones old
OPENSTEP system to test each change I make so that the code
conforms to the OPENSTEP4.2 implementation.