Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:38:57 +0200

Jeff Teunissen wrote:
Partly because Cocoa isn't really a changing API ;-) If that would be
the case, Apple would have a huge problems having to support thousands
of developers and multimillions of lines of code.

Cocoa *is* a changing API.

If you say so ...

> There's stuff going on behind the scenes to
keep runtime compatibility (checking the version that program X was
compiled with, and using behavior consistent with that version of the
API), but they give no indications that you will have continued source
compatibility.

Well, we were not required to update our sources (~500.000 LOC) when going from 10.0 to 10.1 or from 10.1 to 10.2. It was always perfectly source compatible.

> Many people had to change their programs between 10.1 and
10.2, but a program compiled on 10.1 would generally continue to work on
10.2. This is in part caused by the _way_ Apple are changing Cocoa.

Really ? Which people and what did they need to change ?

regards,
  Helge
Helge Hess                         Email:    address@hidden
SKYRIX Software AG                 Tel:      +49-391-6623-0
Universitaetsplatz 12              Fax:      +49-391-6623-599
39104 Magdeburg, Germany           Internet: http://www.skyrix.com
Exchange your Exchange                http://developer.skyrix.com/