Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep Base OpenStep Compliance
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 22:31:04 +0200

Markus Hitter wrote:
Really ? Which people and what did they need to change ?

Well, this are not answering my question above. Which people were required to change what exactly ? The initial claim was that Cocoa API was changing in an source code incompatible way and that Apple uses "hacks" to make that invisible, which I cannot follow.

Again Jeff claimed: "Many people had to change their programs between 10.1 and 10.2" but didn't provide any example for this.

Well, two things come to mind:

1) All sort of hardware and network related stuff, e.g. the introduction of Rendezvous.

OK, we are talking about Cocoa (Foundation+AppKit). The only "changes" (additions!) in Foundation (10.1=>10.2) I'm aware of are two small classes supporting Rendezvous and the new key-based archiving. But those is a very small extension which doesn't affect Cocoa source compatibility at all. (BTW: I'm certain GNUstep has much bigger changes between even minor releases).

I think the only change in AppKit (10.1=>10.2) was the introduction of the progress indicator. But again, this was a) a very small addition and b) not affecting source code compatibility.

Notably any changes made to Cocoa are extremly well documented, too.

2) Introduction of weak linking and a compile variable named MAC_OS_X_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET.

So, what the hell has this todo with source code compatibility ? Sigh ...

Again: source code produced on 10.0 still compiles just fine on 10.2.

Both make it difficult for programs compiled on OS X 10.2 to run on 10.1 and obviously caused some confusion among developers.

So what ? You are aiming at downward compatibility which no system I know provides (GNUstep is certainly *much* worse on that than Cocoa). But Cocoa provides full upward compatibility which is all that can be expected.

But neither of them was a change to existing API.

Of course not. Cocoa *needs* to be stable, they have a much larger developer audience than GNUstep.

BTW: supporting Cocoa API cannot be compared to WINE, since WINE aims for binary compatibility which is a much different issue.

Helge