Re: RFC: Framework support in -make

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: RFC: Framework support in -make
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:55:27 +0200

On 2003-05-07 16:18:20 +0200 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

Except for GNUstep, it's exceedingly rare for a package to use either
LD_LIBRARY_PATH *or* ld.so.conf -- because unlike with GNUstep, the
libraries are almost always installed into the standard locations.

ld.so.conf is off-limits to packagers, as is LD_LIBRARY_PATH to most of
them.

I'm not convinced - when I install an RPM, most of the times, they run
ldconfig.  They don't usually edit ld.so.conf, I agree, because they put
all libs in standard directories.

But GNUstep just needs to add a few lines to ld.so.conf when the first
package (gnustep-make I suppose) is installed - all later packages need
only do the same as any other binary package: just run ldconfig, because
everything is installed into GNUstep's standard locations, which are in
ld.so.conf anyway.

What about user library/framework directories? At this time you need to add two
lines for each user to the ld.so.conf (besides four lines for gnustep
installation) to make user-domain frameworks and libraries work:

user_home/Library/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu
user_home/Library/Libraries/ix86/linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu

UsualIy users do not have permissions to edit the ld.co.conf file, neither to
run ldconfig. And I doubt that sysadmins will agree on adding user directories
into global list. I think that this is a reason, why ld.so.conf and ldconfig
should not be used.

Stefan