Re: make and -Werror

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: make and -Werror
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:41:02 +0100 (BST)

> Hi,
>
> Many gnustep projects (including ones belonging to System domain)
> use -Werror for compilation. Usualy they contain many makefiles and it
> requires removing this variable from all of them to make projects
> compile. I am using gcc 3.3 and I get warnings from each of those
> project, so i am not able to build them without digging into the project
> structure and removing all -Werrors. I have a suggestion: would it be
> possible to add some gnustep-make switch, like werror=yes to enable this
> warrning optionally, so developers do not have to include it in their
> makefiles and others can buld their projects despite of warnings?

Thanks Stefan - I'd suggest those project could do better - they could use
in their top-level GNUmakefile

export ADDITIONAL_CPPFLAGS = -Werror

the 'export' will cause it to be automatically passed down to all
subprojects, so they would set this only once in their top-level
GNUmakefile, and it's easy to turn it on/off.

(If their top-level project has got any compilation target which require
special flags *not* to be passed down, they can be put in an xxx_CPPFLAGS
variable).