Re: make and -Werror

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: make and -Werror
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:32:11 +0200

Hi,

On 2003-05-23 10:41:02 +0200 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi,

Many gnustep projects (including ones belonging to System domain)
use -Werror for compilation. Usualy they contain many makefiles and it requires
removing this variable from all of them to make projects compile. I am using
gcc 3.3 and I get warnings from each of those project, so i am not able to
build them without digging into the project structure and removing all
-Werrors. I have a suggestion: would it be possible to add some gnustep-make
switch, like werror=yes to enable this warrning optionally, so developers do
not have to include it in their makefiles and others can buld their projects
despite of warnings?

Thanks Stefan - I'd suggest those project could do better - they could use
in their top-level GNUmakefile

export ADDITIONAL_CPPFLAGS = -Werror

the 'export' will cause it to be automatically passed down to all
subprojects, so they would set this only once in their top-level
GNUmakefile, and it's easy to turn it on/off.

Ok, that should work. However, why someone should modify ANY source files
(including make files) just to be able to build the project which should be
build without problems?

I have attached a patch that will add a switch 'check' that will enable -Werror
flag. Other functionaklity behind this switch should be added later. To check
your source files just type:

   make check=yes

and all warnings will turn into errors.

Stefan Urbanek