Re: [NSBundle mainBundle] + gdb

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [NSBundle mainBundle] + gdb
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:13:56 +0100 (BST)

> > Try adding
> >
> > BundleTest_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE = yes
> >
> > to your GNUmakefile.  That will turn on support for the main bundle in
> > the
> > makefiles, and your main bundle directory should appear, and [NSBundle
> > mainBundle] should find it and return a bundle accessing it. :-)
>
> Hi Nicola,
>
> thanks for explaining this fact. On OSX, a tool's mainBundle is always
> set (set to the executable path). While this is of limited use for
> resource loading (cannot work on OSX), it's of use for [NSBundle
> bundleForClass:<some class from the executable>] to work.
>
> Wouldn't it be best if the above setting (<Tool>_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE =
> yes) would always be set to 'yes' for Tool projects on GNUstep? I don't
> see an obvious drawback in doing so.

I see your point, which is good; the drawback is that setting
<Tool>_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE = yes causes a resource directory to be created
for the tool - and that is a pointless annoyance for some people who are
not using resources, as it's cluttering their filesystem with empty
resource directories for tools having no resources

I'm not particularly willing to have my filesystem cluttered in that way
myself, and I'm pretty sure people would complain if I changed the default
and every tool would start generating a resource directory. :-)

Btw - I had complaints when libraries where doing something similar in the
past.