Re: [RFC] Header organization

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:42:08 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

The only problem with a real Foundation/AppKit directory is on MacOSX, when compiling the BaseAdditions library, the compiler will find this directory in preference to the installed Foundation framework. I have to think of a solution for that (even if it's specific to apple-apple-apple libcombo).

Hmm... Are you saying, that I could install base (not just Additions) on OS X? I didn't realize this. And while building base (incl. the Additions subproject) the preprocessor would include Apple's Foundation headers instead of base's? (When simply buliding Additions on OS X, I would not expect to include/install Foundation headers from base.)

Then again any system that allows a parallel installation of different Foundation / AppKit installations would be tricky, eventhough careful -I placement might handle it, if the search paths aren't hard coded into Apple's cpp.

This seems like a more fundamental issue on OS X. But I don't see how the proposed change really plays into this issue. Unless currently, when building base for OS X, there is some makefile magic that puts all GS headers into gnustep/base. But then the includes would also have to be adapted to include from there instead of Foundation....

I'll have to dig into this, unless we're misunderstanding each other somewhere.

Cheers,