Re: Proper way of connecting to apps

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Proper way of connecting to apps
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:52:35 +0100

On Sunday, June 22, 2003, at 08:58  am, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
3. [NSWorkspace -launchApplication:] does not work correctly. The method returns immediately after executing application binary, i would expect it to wait until successfull application launch, so i can connect to it immediately and start communicating with it. Now I have to create a loop where I check whether application is running.

That might be a bug as you suggest... how does OpenStep/MacOS-X do it? I thought it counted 'launch' as meaning that that it had started the new task rather than as meaning that the application had completed all its startup. It's very simple to change this of course, but we need to be sure what the correct behavior is.

Further investigation seems to be quite clear that the current implementation is correct (ie the way MacOS-X does it).

Perhaps it might be worth making the GSContactApplication() function from GSServicesManager.m public, since it
wraps the code for contacting an application already?