Re: [RFC] Header organization

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 19:42:36 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

Well, the easy way to solve both issues, I guess, is to have in gnustep-base:

Headers/gnustep/Foundation (NS*.h)
Headers/gnustep/base (GS*.h)

For all *-gnu-* combos, we arrange to include "-I../Headers -I../Headers/gnustep" and for apple-apple-apple, we have just "-I../Headers". Of course, we install the headers in the normal place, i.e. Headers/Foundation and Headers/gnustep/base. There's somewhat of a disconnect between the compilation location of headers and installed location, but it's no worse than before.

Blinded by the obvious... I guess I was too fixed on getting rid of -I../Headers/gnustep so that we conistently use "gnustep/base/GSHeader.h" instead of "base/GSHeader.h", that I missed that one. Yes, this really looks like the way to go. Thanks.

The thing I still need to know is whether there are any non NS*.h files that belong in Foundation/ and AppKit/ other than:

Foundation/
Foundation.h
objc-load.h ?

AppKit/
AppKit.h
AppKitDefines.h
AppKitExceptions.h ?
DPSOperators.h ?
PSOperators.h ?
nsimage-tiff.h ?

My OPENSTEP also has

dpsclient.h
dpsfriends.h
dpsOpenStep.h
dpsops.h
dpsopsNeXT.h
dpsopsOpenStep.h
event.h
obsoleteGraphics.h
obsoleteListener.h
obsoleteSpeaker.h
psops.h
psopsNeXT.h
psopsOpenStep.h

But I guess these are outside of our scope, and I don't see a real necessary.

Alexander, any further thoughts on gui/back-package specific headers or are you fine with the extra comments as suggested by Adam? Maybe you could use a special define that will "hide" them from non gui/back code. Then I'll leave those headers where they are.

I'll wait until Monday to hear from the developers and post an RFC on discuss-gnustep begining next week. Then I'll set a date for the transition if all goes well.

Cheers,