Re: Timers and view redrawing

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Timers and view redrawing
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 01:03:14 +0200

Hi Chad,

looks like you did never get a reply on this mail. Sorry, but it surely would help if you could supply your test code, so that I can check myself what is going wrong here. GNUstep gui is not as thread safe as Cocoa, but exactly the method that you are using (setNeedsDisplay:) should be since release 0.8.6.

Fred

address@hidden wrote:
In GSDock, I have a timer which configures how to display something (an animation). The timer works great, it fires the method I asked it to. However, when I make the call to setNeedsDisplay:YES at the end of the firing, the NSView never gets the message to redraw. I have tried various workarounds such as asking the window itself to -display and/or -flush, but still nothing.

The only time the NSView will actually draw and update the animation itself is if I click in it.

Note that it works perfectly in Cocoa.

Is this a known bug? Any workarounds besides the aforementioned ones I attempted?