Re: Window handling in -back

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Window handling in -back
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:16:07 +0200

Chris B. Vetter wrote:
I've been playing with different window managers again and stumbled upon
a weird problem with two in particular, mwm and ol(v)wm. Granted, those
two can probably be considered outdated, but maybe this is of interest
nevertheless.

The first file, 'root' is the xwininfo(1) of my root window. As you can
see, I'm running at a resolution of 1600x1200.

The other two files, 'olwm' and 'mwm' contain three xwininfo(1) entries,
the first was taken from Ink -> New Document, the second is Terminal and
the third is a plain xterm.
What I did was to use each window manager's maximize window option.

As you can see, the two GNUstep applications are WAAAAY off, resulting
in LOTS of XShm memory errors bringing the whole machine to a crawl...

I looked into this problem and it is caused by GNUstep not following the Apple specificaion. We should be using FLT_MAX as the backstop value when creating a new window and not use an limitation for this case in the backend. Currently GNUstep uses 10000 as the backstop value, which is the maximal allowed value for window size on OpenStep. That way we have no state, where no maximal size is specified.

I would suggest to use FLT_MAX as the backstop value and give it a special treatment in the backend, where it would clear any previous set values. A remaining problem is than in the setFrame:display method, which expected _maxSize to have a valid value. But than again, accoring to the specification this method should do no check at all, this should be done by othere methods. So we need to change this anyway.

If nobody complans, I will change this, but don`t expect GNUstep than to work on these window managers, you will just get new problems.

Cheers