Re: Methods as dictionary keys using invocation

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Methods as dictionary keys using invocation
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 18:27:29 +0100

On Sunday, July 6, 2003, at 10:53 AM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,

I have an object (prototype) containing a dictionary. I want to access keys in that dictionary using messages. So if i do:
   [proto someKey];
it is analogous to:
   [[proto dictionary] objectForKey:@"someKey"];

However, this used to work some time ago, but now I am getting:
   vacall: va_start type 6 and va_return type 14 disagree.

Try commenting out the call to gs_find_best_typed_sel() in gs_objc_msg_forward() in GSFFCallInvocation.m

Ideally, the runtime should be passing gs_objc_msg_forward() the correct type information. As the objc runtime doesn't necessarily do so, the gs_find_best_typed_sel() guesses,
and is probably guessing wrong.
I don't know whether it's generally better to guess or not ... the ideal solution is to modify
gcc, but that's not going to happen fast.