Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 15:12:36 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:

Ok.  I suppose it doesn't make much of a difference.

An alternative approach is

base/Headers/Foundation
base/Headers/Extra/GNUstepBase

(passing -I../Headers/ -I../Headers/Extra/ when compiling gnustep-base,
and -I../Headers/Extra when compiling gnustep-baseadd only)  I'd prefer
this one because most people will be looking for Foundation headers, and
in this setup Foundation/ is well placed in a top-level position.  In the
other setup it's not very immediate the fact that the Foundation headers
are inside the gnustep/ subdirectory.

But it doesn't make much difference so whatever you choose, as soon as it works, it's Ok for me.

I have no personal preference. I just thought, that we could recycle the existing gnustep directory, as directories are kind of hard to delete in cvs (i.e. you usually don't). So how would:

base/Headers/Foundation
base/Headers/gnustep/GNUstepBase

look like to you?

I mean to modify gnustep-make so that when you install a library, it
installs headeres in there, and so that it adds
-Ixxx/Headers/$LIBRARY_COMBO flags on the command line.  It really means
replacing the Headers directory with Headers/$LIBRARY_COMBO (if a
LIBRARY_COMBO is used).

Then maybe you should send this to me as a patch privatly before committing, and wait until I'm ready to commit the changes in -base, -gui and -back as I think this should be done more or less at the same time. Actually I can just commit you changes just before I commit mine.

No.  I'm not planning any such script.  One reason is that no header
(except gnustep-base/gui ones, which are going to be installed in the new
place) need to be moved for people using the default settings, and people
not using the default settings and needing library-combos are usually
enough smart/advanced to reinstall everything from scratch, or be able to
copy a directory around. :-)
Granted.

Cheers,