Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:49:30 +0200

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

I'm not really happy about adding even more directories to the top-level
include namespace. Since they're all going to have to have a GNUstep
prefix anyway, I think it's cleaner and better to keep them in a
gnustep/ or GNUstep/ subdirectory (and include them using
<gnustep/project/file...>, so -I.../gnustep should not be used).

Well this is a decision that just has to be made explicit before we can continue...

a) We leave the gnustep/ directory (and also leave gnustep/base, gnustep/gui) and install Foudation (when applicable) at top level (well, with --disable-flattened under the library combo) and require -make to install gnustep. b) We move everything to the the top level and support custom OS X / PB projects.

I personally have no preference. Yet, I would prefer a final decision soon though. And we should at least inform -discuss about the decision before we commit anything affecting this.

But if they're going to be moved...
David Ayers wrote:

gnustep/unicode -> GNUstepBase/unicode/

gnustep/x11 -> GNUstepX11
gnustep/xlib -> GNUstepXLib
gnustep/gsc -> GNUstepGSC
or
gnustep/x11 -> GNUstepBack/x11
gnustep/xlib -> GNUstepBack/xlib
gnustep/gsc -> GNUstepBack/gsc
Definitely the second option, _if_ we're going to install these at all.

I'd prefer not install them at all, if they are not meant to be public.

gnustep/guile -> GNUstepGuile

gnustep/gsantlr -> gsantlr
This needs to have the 'gs' expanded to be reasonably unique, so it
would become "GNUstepANTLR".

Depending on "the decision", I agree, Manuel?

I'm not sure whether we should touch these, but if so:

gnustep/extensions -> FoundationExt/extensions
gnustep/objc -> FoundationExt/objc

I'm leaning toward updating then because some of the above seem to rely
on -Ixxx/gnustep

That should be fixed, but we don't to move things around to do that;
removing the -I.../gnustep is enough.
Depending on "the decision", I'll try to insure either
"gnustep/extensions/*.h"
"gnustep/objc/*.h"
or
"FoundationExt/extenstions/*.h"