Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:59:30 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 10.07.03 um 18:52 Uhr schrieb David Ayers:

*If* we move unicode into GNUstepBase/unicode, we might already be defeating the purpose of the -framework installation with PB, because I doubt that they provide for subdirectories.

ProjectBuilder doesn't worry about where a source file is located. You can build a framework from files sprayed all over your platter. Finding headers is done completely by gcc, where Apple's gcc has the additional ability to find headers inside frameworks. It's just the same convenience as usual to have logical related files in one directory.

When building a framework, however, all header files are copied into one directory inside the bundle, independant of where they were located before. This is why GNUstep headers should be grouped in one directory, too, to make header search compatible. One directory for each library's (= framework's) headers.

For directories inside a framework's header directory - it seems to be unusual but supported. At least, I've some examples ("locate \*.framework\*Headers/\*/\*") on my OS X box:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/gdb.framework/Versions/A/Headers/ tracepoint.h
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/gdb.framework/Versions/A/Headers/tui
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/gdb.framework/Versions/A/Headers/tui/ tui-file.h

This allows:

#include <gdb/tui/tui-file.h>

Dunno how to make ProjectBuilder to build such a thing, however. Chances are good for gdb's project being open sourced, since gdb is part of Darwin.

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/