Use of UTF8 in X calls

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Use of UTF8 in X calls
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:40:30 +0200

Hi Richard,

you did ask in the Changelog, if the switch from cString to UTF8String is correct for the X backend. I have been thinking about that change myself for some time and did not dare to do it. According to my Xlib Programming Manual (from 1995) the functions we are calling here only support the "Host Portabl Character Encoding", which is a bit more than ASCII and the client and the server have to agree on it. I would expect newer X implementations to be able to handle UTF8, but could not find a prove for this. Most of our current users wont have a host name, application name or parameter that is not inside of the supported range. And for the ones that use non-Latin1 (which is one of the more popular HPCE) cString would have failed them anyway and we now have at least the chance that their X supports this strings. So from a theoretical point of view that change might be incorrect, but from a practical it is a clear improvement. In the long run we will have to question each single use of cString in GNUstep. It is almost gone from GUI already.

Cheers