Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSHomeDirectory() problems on windows
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:06:12 +0100

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 10:56 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:
I agree ... but I don't know if it is possible/practicable to fix this ...
certainly I don't have time to go through the makefiles system
and try to get it working with spaces in directory names :-(

Make (not gnustep-make, I'm talking of make itself) has been designed
thinking that filenames would never contain spaces.  It's an implicit
design assumption which can't be fixed.

I remembered the problem was serious ... but I'd forgotten it was a fundamental
issue with make!

On the other hand, this issue should only arise when compiling, not when
using the software.

So we *could* have two different behaviors for those different cases.
However, I'd rather keep it simple/consistent (I don't want to expend effort
maintaining complex code for windows when I don't even use it myself).