Re: Making autogsdoc a separate package

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Making autogsdoc a separate package
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 22:57:02 +0200

FWIW, here's my opinion,

I personally have no beef with autogsdoc being part of -base or not. I do believe the the GSXML classes in -base(add) should be the ObjC abstaction layer of any xml implementation we support (even if the interface would need changing to support other xml implementations). Whereever autogsdoc ends up at, it should only rely on this abstrachtion layer (e.g. -base(add) ) and not any arbitrary xml implementation.

I must also admit that I find it convinient that autogsdoc is part of -base(add). Not sure whether that suffices to have it there though. But it seems rather clumsy when (in the extreme case) your patching up GSXML to support alternative xml implementations and also adding corresponding documentation, that you would need to make you changes to -base(add), install them, reinstall autogsdoc and then run it back in -base(add) again to view the documentation. But I'm not religous about it.

Now if anyone wants to add support for other xml implementation of GSXML, please offer patches. (don't expect Richard to start supporting other libs as libxml2 is currenly doing the trick.) Please have autogsdoc only rely on the GSXML interface and not on a specific xml implementation (if that isn't already the case).

If you want autogsdoc working for libFoundation or Foundation, please just get -baseadd working for them. That's the prerequisit.

Cheers,