runloop hooking

From: Jeremy Bettis
Subject: runloop hooking
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:36:16 -0500

I am trying to implement a WIN32 NSRunLoop that processes events and I can't
see how I am supposed to hook into the run loop.  On Openstep I did a
poseAsClass:[NSRunLoop class] and replaced acceptInputForMode:beforeDate:
with a method of my own.

I looked to gnustep-back for wisdom and found that the win32 version of back
uses a NSTimer with an interval of 0.1 seconds!  I am not willing to do
that!

Could someone explain to me what contexts and watchers are?  It appears that
watchers are just file descriptors, and contexts just containers for all the
file handles and timers etc for a specific run loop mode.

My problem is that there are too many internal things referenced to totally
replace acceptInputForMode:beforeDate: and no good place to squeeze into it.

humbug.  I hope you take my patch when I am done.