Re: libobjc with ffcall or ffi

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: libobjc with ffcall or ffi
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:22:50 -0600

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 04:10 PM, Jeremy Bettis wrote:

This email from the archives
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2001-02/msg00163.html seems to indicate that libobjc can be built with ffcall, but when I download the latest snapshot of dev-apps from gnustep.org, it still uses builtin_apply et
al.

FYI, libobjc should be in dev-libs now - maybe the next snapshot (?)

Is there a ffcall or libffi version of libobjc around somewhere? Forwarding of methods returning id, float, and double are all not working for me. It's all fine and good that gnustep-base can use ffi or ffcall, but if libobjc is
broken, it is all for naught.

libobjc just has a hook in it to allow you to bypass the builtin_apply stuff. I'd hesitate to actually put libffi/ffcall support in libobjc unless the library was actually distributed with gcc (er, well libffi is distributed with gcc but it's not installed). It might not be too hard to take the stuff from GSFFIInvocation.m and simplify it enough to include it in libobjc, at least for your purposes...