Re: further changes - request for comments

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: further changes - request for comments
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:42:04 +0200

BALATON Zoltan wrote:

Hello,

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Nicola Pero wrote:
* installing all headers in Headers/ix86-linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/xxx which
matches the Libraries/ix86-linux-gnu/gnu-gnu-gnu/xxx directory, and means
you don't need to install cpu/os specific headers in a separate directory.

Do you really mean all headers? It seems to be unnecessary as most headers
are (or supposed to be) platform independent. After this change would be
the same set of headers installed in different directories for each
platform in a non-flattened installation? This is ugly. Isn't there a
better way to keep non platform specific headers installed only once?
Hello Balaton,

Actually it's a simple tradeoff between installing multiple headers and reducing -I flags. I'm not really sure whether the Headers really need to be installed in library combo specific directories for any other reason than the -I flags, that couldn't be resolved with #ifdef's but as that would only affect -make and those header internals, so I'm not too worried if we decide to change it again, even though we would "recomplicate" -make. It would be nice though if the issue could be resolved once and for all before we release again.

Cheers,