Re: GCC Framework support in Linux (fwd)

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GCC Framework support in Linux (fwd)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 13:29:04 -0600

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 11:42 AM, David Ayers wrote:

It's just too ironic that this is happening while Nicola is away. I'm not sure if a could lead a meaningful discussion on the gcc list about this. But unless someone else jumps in, I'll take a shot at it. I think argumenting for target specific handling might be accepted, but I don't know how we should approach the concept of library-combos as this will most likely be viewed as an arbitrary selection frameworks/libraries to add extra handling for which is only meaningful in the context of OpenStep and ObjC runtime's.

We should probably chime in, just so they know we are interested.

I'm not really sure whether the Headers really need to be installed in library combo specific directories for any other reason than the -I flags, that couldn't be resolved with #ifdef's but as that would only affect -make and those header internals, so I'm not too worried if we decide to change it again, even though we would "recomplicate" -make. It would be nice though if the issue could be resolved once and for all before we release again. (Deja vu :-))

I though the most useful part of putting headers into a target-specific dir was versioning - e.g. I have gnustep-base installed on two targets. Then I upgrade one target (perhaps a development version), and I don't want those headers screwing up the other (perhaps stable) target. With frameworks, that's not really as important since they have versioning built in. I think it does complicate things a bit much however, that's why I think we should reconsider it.