Re: Next release

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Next release
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 10:19:37 +0200

Adam Fedor wrote:

I plan on making another release of the core libraries in a few days. This will highlight the Header changes. Also, I may make this a pre-release version for the next stable release. If I do that, then I'll do two things:

Hello,

there seems to be an issue with configuring with the Apple runtime. I'm not sure whether this is relevant for the release but it seems that the configure script for base is generating:

checking ffi.h usability... no
checking ffi.h presence... no
checking for ffi.h... no
checking "for forwarding callback in runtime"... no
checking callback.h usability... yes
checking callback.h presence... yes
checking for callback.h... yes
checking "FFI library usage"... none

The intersting line is:
checking "for forwarding callback in runtime"... no
which is GNU Runtime specific test that probably sets enabled_ffcall to 'no'.

This seems correct as we probably don't want to configure for ffcall for Apple's runtime, as there isn't a hook we can use.

Yet this also seems to lead to neither ffi nor ffcall being configured and due to:
http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/base/configure.ac.diff?r1=1.13&r2=1.14&diff_format=h&sortby=date
we fail the configure (proably also for apple-apple-apple, ie. -baseadd on OS X, where we don't need ffcall as we use Apple's DO).

I don't have a Darwin / OS X to really verify this and I'm kind of boged down with other gcc issues that I can't look into it right now. So I'll open a bug report.

Cheers,