Re: Away for a week

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Away for a week
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:09:44 +0200

Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:
6. There is also the idea that I did write a few months ago in a mail to
Richard, that we should use gdomap to implement more of the GUI general
interaction methods (like hideOtherApplications:) by exporting the list
of the running GNUstep applications with an interface similar to what
gets used for the donames() function. This would be used by the
GSServiceManager to provide some methods for NSApplication and NSWorkspace.

This is interesting for the desktops built on GNUstep, but I don't think
this belongs in core/ itself. In particular, gdomap is the wrong place
for this since gdomap is a -base daemon (a suid one at that, so it
should do only one thing, but do it in a very secure way), and not
everyone runs gdomap.

You may have gotten me wrong here. I am not asking for extensions of gdnc, what I did describe is actually already there. I just propose that we should use the infroamion that gdnc has about running GNUstep applications inside of GUI instead of coming up with other solutions that will of course fall short to solve the problem. I would like to hear Richards opion on this, as gdnc is his work as is GSServicesManager.