Re: stripping makefiles

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: stripping makefiles
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:52:13 +0100 (BST)

> > So my plan would be to make stripped makefiles the default,
>
> If the performance gain is worth the trouble, this is sensible, but a 5%
> reduction of make overhead doesn't seem like a lot. Have you tried to
> profile make to see where it's spending its time?

gnustep-make has been heavily studied, profiled and optimized already.
We're now at the point that it's actually doing useful work in most of its
time. :-)

It's very fast, and it's hard to make it faster - and somewhat pointless
at this point.  Why making faster something which is already very fast ?

Parsing comments is one of the few clearly useless activities that
gnustep-make is still spending time on - and it's very easy to strip
comments out - so I'm tempted to remove this last inefficiency cause - jon
the other hand, comments are very useful for humans, and I tend to hear
complaints that gnustep-make is difficult to understand anyway, so I'm not
sure if we should strip them or not.  Hmmm.

What I'll do is, I'll add the option to strip makefiles (without
installing the sources) in gnustep-make's ./configure, but disable it by
default.