Text drawing

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Text drawing
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 19:30:27 +0100

The clean up of the text layout has been on my list for long now. As I still dont find time to do it, here are two simple ideas for some of the problems, where I would like to hear comments on:

1) The layout manager uses the following lines to set a text colour when non has been specified:

DPSsetgray(ctxt, 0.0);
DPSsetalpha(ctxt, 1.0);

This should of course be replaced by [[NSColor textColor] set] to respect the colour scheme of the user. Or if we really mind the speed here by caching this colour and using the cached value.

2) Then there is quite a mess in the direct string drawing. We have a whole set of different methods the front end could call. I think that we should remove everything apart from GSShowGlyphs, GSShowText and DPSshow. The difference between the last one and the other two will be that this works together with the path, wheras the first ones use the text position. The text drawing code in NSLayoutManager would than be:

GSSetTextPosition(ctxt, gbuf_point);
GSShowGlyphs(ctxt, gbuf, gbuf_len);

And GSShowGlyphs must of course be changed in all backends to use the textCtm and to leave the path untouched.

All the other DPSXXXshow methods should be removed. I don't think anybody has been using them for years now.