Re: GNUstep on Cygwin

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Cygwin
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 16:35:37 -0700

On Saturday, December 6, 2003, at 10:26 AM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

The current discussion about GNUstep on Windows made me curious, so I started up my XP and downloaded cygwin. This has improved much over the past year, they now have support for objc and if you install the gcc for java you even get libffi. So I tried to use this directly and make and base where easy to compile, as every needed package was already included. But I was to optimistic here, as things compiled, but did not work, which only showed up at the end of the compilation of gui. Something is broken in base, as even simple programms as plparse.exe complain that the cannot find the class NSProcessInfo. As this is the first class loaded from the gnustep-base.dll I expect that this DLL cannot be loaded for some reason. There is no clue of the cause, but based on previous experiance with windows I would expect that some required DLL cannot be loaded. So I only have to find out which one, and here I am stuck. Does anybody have an idea on how to investigate into this? I remember having tools on my old machine that did show he exports and imports of DLLs. But this was so long ago that I don't have any memory where this did come from.

I and others had problems similar to this a long time ago with the gnustep-gui library. It turned out the real problem was in improperly packaged/dll'd tiff library. You might look at the dlls that base depends on (maybe libffi?). I can't point to anything in particular that was wrong about the tiff library. We just used a different package from another source and things just started working.

I'd try a suggestion I made previously - use the window's installer and then checkout core and recompile. Works fine for me.