Re: GNUstep on Cygwin

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Cygwin
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 18:06:18 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:
I am now struggleing to get back compile as it insistes to compile xlib. The problem seems to be the X installation that comes with Cygwin. I will have to force the winlib evironment. It looks a bit strange to me that the system automatically detects that it has to build a window server, so it uses win32, but tries o combine this with xlib. But I think this can be resolved with the correct configure switches, which I have to look up.

To keep you informed of my progress. Starting configure with the correct parameters did the trick:
configure --enable-server=win32 --enable-graphics=winlib

As Cygwin has also the ablility to compile GNUstep for the X window system, it is fine, that you have to specify which one you want. (Although I would prefer win32 as the default and the mixed state I had yesterday when only setting one switch was horrible)

Now I have problems with the path conversion. GNUstep make did set my GNUstep system directory to c:/GNUstep/System. And now applications are looking for the backend bundle in a directory below this. This path is not recognized as being an absolute one and so the loading of the backend bundle fails. I could of course change the setting in the GNUstep.sh, but as this is now a valid Cygwin path, I wanted to change the file handling in NSFileManager to convert this path correctly. Currently we only do conversions for the file names on MinGW, so I tried to switch the condition to #ifdef __WIN32__, but for unknown reasons this condition did not hold on CYGWIN. Can anybody explain this to me? From the gcc specs I can tell, that this define should be set.

With all this problems for cygwin I am now considering using Adams tip and installing GNUstep with the Windows Installer. Frustrating to fail even as a GNUstep developer to bootstrap GNUstep on Cygwin.