Re: NSUser and paths generally

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: NSUser and paths generally
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:48:22 -0700

On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 07:19 PM, Sheldon Gill wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:25, David Ayers wrote:
NSUser.m contains functions associated with the user and his environment
defined in NSPathUtilities.h.  There is no such thing an NSUser class.
You are effectively proposing to rename NSUser.m to NSPathUtilities.m.
I'd think thrice before dealing with the issues realted to obtaining the CVS history for these file just for the functions to be "more at home".
(OTOH, I was the one who moved all the header files a while back :-) )

I was thinking of leaving the user name and such login functions in NSUser and moving the path discovery to NSPathUtilities. The correspondence between header and source makes life a little easier but that's not the sole reason
for the change.

I agree that pure header correspondence is really sufficient reason to make these changes, but if you have worthwhile improvements I wouldn't be against it. Making things clearer in this case would be useful.

I made this suggestion in relation to 'packaging' rather than 'portability'. Implementing this would mean that GNUstep system configuration for most *nix would be in /etc/GNUstep which is consistent with what other packages do,
especially WindowMaker. Make life easier for sys admins.

Yes. trying to deal with the user sourcing a shell file is tough. It would be nice to get rid of that requirement.