Re: GNUstep on Cygwin

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Cygwin
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:10:16 +0100

To keep you informed on my (minimal) progress with Cygwin:

- Cygwin components with the added objc.dll work ok. It seems to me currently the simplest way of getting GNUstep running on Windows. In the long run MinGW looks nicer, as we don't need the extra library. When CVS is up again I will document the Cygwin components needed.

- When gcc is started without the --no-cygwin switch __WIN32__ wont be defined, but __CYGWIN32__ is. We should adopt some base code (file name mangling) to this.

- gdomap works, but gdnc doesn't. When started without fork (gdnc -f) it behaves correctly. No idea what causes this. Any advice on further checks is welcome.

- There is a problem with time zones. Even when TZ is set to GMT I get an error message. I will look into this deeper today.

- I found a way to wrok around the image drawing bug in winlib. What I did is just copy some complicated lines over from XGGState and now it works. I will submit this when CVS is available again. Still I would like to understand why this is needed. My feeling is that these complicated operations are not needed and are an artefact of incorrect flipped view handling further up.

- The next step will be font enumeration.

Cheers