Re: User defaults database permissions

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: User defaults database permissions
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 17:51:01 +0000

On 20 Jan 2004, at 15:52, Sheldon Gill wrote:

Currently, NSUserDefaults enforces 0600 on the user database.

That is, it _will_ change the permissions on the file whenever there is an
update irrespective of the current permissions.

I think this is a bug and should be removed.

Creating the file 0600 is right. I have no problem with that. I have a problem with the framework deciding that permissions are wrong and changing them.

This current behaviour voids the "-u" flag in the defaults command for anyone
but the super user.

Should I submit a patch to achieve this?

I think you are correct that the code should not be changing the protection on the database. What it *should* be doing is ensuring that nobody other than the owner and root have write permission to the database or to any directory above it.