Re: Keyed decoding of geometry

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Keyed decoding of geometry
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:14:58 -0800 (PST)

Does Apple use a separate method for this?   If not, why should we?

GJC

--- Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2004, at 13:49, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>

> > Looks like we have a disagreement here. What about a compromise for
> > the time this area is still under heavy development? For now the keyed
> > unarchiving code goes into a separate method that gets called from the
> > specific initWithCode: methods that still contain the old decoder
> > code. When we are sure about the code that goes there we can see, if
> > there is any similarity with standard coding making sharing
> > worthwhile, or not.
> >
> > At least for the AppKit classes this will be needed. I am not that
> > sure about the Fondation classes. Here the few classes I did implement
> > are so simple, that merging the code would do. So what about doing
> > Foundation your way (everything in one initWithCoder: method) and
> > AppKit uses the separate method approach, with a review taking place
> > in about half a year?
>
> Sounds OK, but I'd like to point out that putting everything in the
> -initWithCoder: and encodeWithCoder: methods is not my way.   My way is
> to do whatever seems best on a case by case basis, and not to write
> code which makes assumptions about private methods of superclasses.
>
> By the way, the keyed encoding/decoding should be fully working for xml
> format archives now ... at least to the point where we need to start
> using it in order to find and fix any remaining bugs.  It seems pretty
> straightforward except for being sure of the circumstances when apple
> library classes use private methods of NSKeyedArchiver and
> NSKeyedUnarchiver.

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
-- bheron on #gnustep, #linuxstep, & #gormtalk ----------------
Please sign the petition against software patents at:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pasp01/petition.html
-- Maintainer of Gorm (featured in April Linux Journal) -------