Re: Question on GSDrawingFunctions

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Question on GSDrawingFunctions
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 05:21:18 -0500

Fred Kiefer wrote:

> I just wanted to use the new GSDrawingFunction to allow NSButtonCell to
> draw in a configurable way, but than I did spot a few differences there.
> First NSButtonCell currently uses NSDrawGrayBezel, whereas
> GSDrawingFunctions only implements DrawDarkBezel. Now I did myself
> change NSDrawDarkBezel to call NSDrawGrayBezel, but am still unsure if
> this is actually correct. Could somebody with an OpenStep or Cocoa
> machine please test the difference between these two?

It is NOT correct.

GSDrawingFunctions does not use gray anywhere, and that's intentional. In
addition, most of NSDraw* are documented and specified to draw gray, and
this means they are unacceptable for drawing a "schemeable" UI, _and_ that
they should not draw using the GSDrawingFunctions.

> There is also a small difference in the implementation of
> NSDrawGrayBezel and DrawDarkBezel. The second round of lines are drawn
> in a different order. This only is visible on very close inspection,
> still I wonder which way is correct and if we should change them to be
> the same. Again input from somebody with a reference impementation would
> be welcome.

The result of DarkBezel (with default colors) is the same as OPENSTEP 4
NSDrawGrayBezel.