Re: [RFA]: BOOL coding standards (Was: Problem with+numberWithBool:?)

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [RFA]: BOOL coding standards (Was: Problem with+numberWithBool:?)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 23:15:32 +0000 (GMT)

> > > But BOOL isn't a boolean type. _Bool is.
> >
> > I'm obviously not making myself clear.
> > I believe that BOOL was intended to be a true boolean type,
> [...]
>
> No, this is very clear. I just think you're wrong.
>
> Basically, you're claiming that BOOL may only take the values YES and
> NO, and that anything else is incorrect.

The Objective-C manual of NeXTstep 3.3 clearly states -

"The principal types used in Objective C are defined in objc/objc.h.  They
are:

id An object (a pointer to its data structure)
Class A class object (a pointer to the class data structure)
SEL A selector, a compiler-assigned code that identifies a method name
IMP A pointer to a method implementation that returns an id
BOOL A boolean value, either YES or NO"

This precise definition is still included in the latest Apple release of
their description of the Objective-C language -

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/index.html

Look at the Objective-C Language Summary, where it's crystal clear about
what a BOOL is:

"BOOL:  A Boolean value, either YES or NO."

I think this is it.