Re: base64 coder/decoder for GNUstep

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: base64 coder/decoder for GNUstep
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:42:49 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:

Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Andreas Hoeschler wrote:

we need to decode a base64 stream in an NSData object. Do we need to
implement a decoder on our own or is such a beast available for
download anywhere? What I am looking for is a category method for
NSData like

- (NSData *)decodedBase64Stream;

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Pantomime's MimeUtility class can do that:

+ (NSData *) decodeBase64: (NSData *) theData;

A similar method already exists in base/Source/Additions/GSMime.m on GSMimeDocument.

[switched lists]

Actually we also have a uuencode implementation in GSMime, for which I already have the 'OK' to move it to an NSData category (as time permits and I'll wait until after the release). I'm haven't looked closely at base64 and the incremental decoding technique it uses, but maybe we should also consider whether it should be a Good Thing...

Thoughts?

Cheers,