Re: NSLog and fprintf in base

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: NSLog and fprintf in base
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:42:33 +0100

Jeff Teunissen <address@hidden> writes:

>> But wouldn't it be nicer if we replace
>> fprintf (stderr,...) with a custom
>> log function that will also uses syslog?
>
> If you're talking about replacing fprintf, the answer would be a
> resounding "NO!".

No, I do not want to replace the function fprintf (stderr,...)
But I want to replace all the occurrences in base with a custom logging
function.

I want this becuase in our application (on windows) stderr is not a nice
place to log errors to.  Gui applications normally do not like errors of
one of their libraries to go to stderr.

And also, it makes the base library logging functionality more
consistent if all the logs appear in one place.  At the moment
it depends if the log is generated by NSLog or fprintf.

> If I call fprintf (stderr, [...]), that's exactly where I want it to go.

Note I talk only about the base library.  What you do in your application
is up to you.  And I would also strongly object if base would redefine
standard libc functions like fprintf.

Hope, this is OK with you.  If you still have any objections I would
like to hear them.

Wim Oudshoorn.