Re: Legacy applications and headers

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Legacy applications and headers
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 18:37:43 +0000 (GMT)

> > I slightly disagree :-) ... This is a speed optimization for GNUstep
> > :-)
>
> Only if PCH is considered the default case ;-)

I consider #include <Foundation/Foundation.h> the default case because it
works on all platforms (#include the specific headers does not, and that
depends on the library-combo, because it doesn't work with apple-*-*). :-)

So I guess the slight difference in our points of view is that I consider
it fundamentally a library-combo related thing, while you consider it
fundamentally a 'I'm using PCH or not' thing.

Having understood each other, I'll leave it here now also because ...

> > I think the main concept is:
> > So I think GNUSTEP is a nice define to use in this case.
>
> Well besides the point that the GNUSTEP define only signals a certain
> library combo and has semantically nothing to do with precompiled
> headers, as mentioned you are going to rewrite all the headers once PCH
> is available for GNUstep.

... because when we have precompiled headers in gnustep, there will be no
need for such an optimization on gnustep, so presumably we drop all the
conditionals and we just use #include <Foundation/Foundation.h> on all
platforms!  Yuppie!  :-)

That will make this discussion obsolete, will simplify headers and make
them simpler and more readable, and faster on gnustep.

I think you can leave with #ifdef GNUSTEP for now particularly given the
promise that we'll drop it once we have PCH on normal gcc and gnustep-make
is able to use them. :-)