Re: Incorrect behaviour in NSWindowController...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Incorrect behaviour in NSWindowController...
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 14:43:11 +0100

Gregory John Casamento wrote:
--- Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

Could you please expalin in more detail, what the possible problem here is? From this mail it just looks like trying to mimik a bug of MacOSX, which surely is not worthwhile and probably not what you intend to achive. As this is a rather old line of code, I would not be to surprised to learn that it is now obsolete.

I don't want to imitate a "bug" of Mac OS X, I want to make certain that it's
not possible to have sloppy code on GNUstep which might correctly fail
otherwise.

But I would like to understand it first.

The idea here is, apparently, to retain the window if it's closed (if it's
owned by a window controller and has isReleasedWhenClosed set to YES) so that
it doesn't cause a segfault.   It's the age old question of how far do we go to
prevent the developer from shooting himself in the foot?

This explains things just as far as I can understand them by looking at the code. The question is rather, would the current behaviour of GNUstep produce a memory leak or does it just make sure things work smoothly?

Could you provide a short example for the correct usage of this feature and describe the results on Cocoa as opposed to GNUstep? Perhaps based on Ink.app (which currently doesn't use this feature)? I often think, that showing code explains things best.