Re: [RFC] Text Input Management System

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [RFC] Text Input Management System
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 12:34:42 +0100 (BST)

> In GNUstep, we already have these classes; however,
> (1) NSInputManager doesn't accept a file format of key-bindings as seen in
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/BasicEventHandling
> /Tasks/TextDefaultsAndBindings.html ,

... Are you really worried about this ? ;-)

I think that their keybindings file format is unreadable - not that it
matters, as keybindings should really be edited via a Preferences
application anyway.  Compatibility of the file format used to store the
keybindings is of little relevance.  It might help a little bit if you
want to copy your keybindings file from GNUstep to Apple (or viceversa),
but it's orders of magnitude less important than API compatibility.

I assume you are proposing to extend the GNUstep key-bindings file format
to support the unreadable Apple keybindings expressions such as ~$D, *in
addition* to supporting the nice, clear and readable GNUstep keybindings
expressions such as Alt-Shift-D ... am I correct ? :-)

> For the format, take a look at StandardKeyBinding.dict.  Nested dictionaries
> are allowed to use.  "One key binding for dispatching multiple methods" is
> not supported.

Why not ?  It was quite a nice feature, and easily implemented.  You can
just use the code/implementation which is already there, can't you ?