Re: CUPS Support

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: CUPS Support
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:37:35 +0200

Hi,

On 2004-04-05 17:57:25 +0200 Chad Hardin <address@hidden> wrote:

That would be swell! Working on CUPS as a framework should give me the foundation needed to do such a thing.

Good idea. What about Printing.framework with a little bit of abstraction? Even
the framework is going to be CUPS based, the CUPS should be hidden. Then there
will be no problem of using another printing 'backend' on other operating
environment...

CUPS handles PPDs on it's own, as does GNUstep, there are are overlaps in functionality as well. Too bad CUPS is not available for Windows (or is it?), then we could simply go straight CUPS.

... such as MS Windows with their own printing subsystem :-)

anyhow, I'll keep hacking away at the framework and see what I learn.

Best regards!

Stefan