Re: [RFC] Text Input Management System (5)

From: Chad Hardin
Subject: Re: [RFC] Text Input Management System (5)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 22:08:49 -1000

I looked it up and realized it is an X11 extension, correct?

I wonder if there is a similar system which does not actually use any particular input system. Like a plain c library, I mean, where you feed it bytes and it pops out unicode.

The only foreign language I'm familiar with is Chinese, and it is often used by combining a series of ASCII characters, typed into a mini-dialog box, and produces Unicode from that. For example, to produce the character for middle, you could type in the Romanization of the sound, which is "ZHONG", and out would pop out δΈ­.

Here is what it would look like to do that:

TIFF image

Here I am typing in the romanization, after pressing space, the following possibilities for that romanization popup:

TIFF image

I can use the cursor keys or the mouse to find the right choice.

for Chinese, at least, I don't see why this has to be tied to X11, or any other display system, it can be generic. GNUstep itself may be in the best position to handle the actual input and conversion. In one year, if all goes well, I'll have all the time in the world to write stuff like this for GNUstep, that is my goal at least!

I wonder if other FLs are used that way, any Arabic speakers here?

Chad